Source : OTSI Arpajon
Images : Arpajon et sa région © 1999
Arpajon : entertainment place,
administrative and commercial centers of regional area.
Until 1720, the locality was called Châtres. A new lord then gave
it the name of its stronghold of Arpajon in the Cantal.
In order to adopt this name more rapidly, he asked for the opinions of the
inhabitants : "What is this place called ?"
Those who answered "Châtres" were beaten with a stick,
and those who replied "Arpajon" received a silver coin.
Arpajon is the vegetable center where all farmers converge and
whose vegetables formerly reached the markets in Paris by the "Arpajonnais"
train, well known by the travellers for its thick fume. The
speciality of Arpajon is the "chevrier", variety of kidney beans invented
in 1878 by a farmer born in "Brétigny-sur-Orge" and called Chevrier.
The Beans fair takes place in Arpajon each year in September.
An important market takes place each Friday since the 13th century.
Splendid Central Market in oak of the 15th century (1470, M.H) is the pride and
the symbol of the city.
The Saint-Clément Church (11th-15th century M.H) offers an
original triforium, beautiful keystones and shelters
tombstones of the 13th century. Its square bell-tower is linked to a
lightning conductor installed in 1782 by Benjamin Franklin.
Let us admire some houses of the 15th century, the Town hall and
its Park of Freising at the edge of the Orge river populated by many ducks.
More than 300 business trades, the movie theaters,
a Youth Hostel, an active cultural life contributes to the success
of the city.
In September are held the "Foire aux Haricots" (Beans Festival, 300.000 visitors),
the chess tournament and the gastronomical and floral contests.
In March, the carnival of Bineau.
The village, with agricultural and horticultural characters, was until the
Revolution a fief of the Benedictines abbots of Saint-Germain-des-Prés,
lords of Avrainville.
The 17th century castle and very old farms as well as wood
reminded Avrainville of its bygone days.
The Sainte-Marie church can be noticed by its flanked bell-tower-turn of
buttresses and its panelled nave.
In June occurs the Festival of Avrainville.
Bruyères-Le-Châtel : The Church, Places Saint-Didier
Its name means "castle built on a ground of heathers".
The Castle and its postern of the 14th century (today property of the
Brothers of Saint-Jean-de-Dieu) dominate a vast populated park of
animals; among the majestic trees, a oak planted under Saint-Louis.
A menhir can be seen at the place called "the Pierre de Beaumirault".
The Saint-Didier Church of the 11th century and the old houses
in the center, are together with the two beautiful restored washtubs, the other reasons of
walk of the city.
In spring, the "Salon de la Palette d'Argent" (paint) occurs.
Cheptainville : Breeding "La Doudou" (goats), regional Forest of the Furnaces
The old "Capitani villa", the chief's town, is built
since the 12th
century around the church dedicated to the invocation of Saint Martin's day.
To this time goes back the bell-tower; the nave, rebuilt in 1471, was
rehabilitated in the 19th century.
Fatherland of the poet Pierre Dupont, author of the famous "j'ai deux grands boeufs dans mon étable...",
Cheptainville has kept its agricultural character.
The village is best known particularly thanks to the knowledge of
"the soil products" to the breeding of goats such as its production of
honeys, fruits, farm products...
Egly : Church Saint-Pierre
(bell-tower of 13th century is recognized as Historic buildings 1929).
Being well situated at the edge of the Orge river brought it to bear the
Latin name aeglati (fertile place surrounded by hedges) and its
inhabitants the name of Aglatiens.
Today like in former days, the banks of the Orge river and the ponds
built contribute to its charms. The
castle of Ville-Louvette,
near Breuillet, distinguished by the use
of brick, stone and slate is accompanied by suites due to the
architect Jean-Renaudie (2Oth century).
The castle of Egly, alone, shelters the Town hall.
The Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul Church is remarkable by its bell-tower of
13th century. Three old laundrettes add to the charm of the places.
In June takes place the festival of the Wolves.
The living room of Artites Peintres of Egly is held in November.
Guibeville : Bridge of Ditches
Nice village with agricultural vocation, its
name derived, according to historians, from the Gallo-Roman family Gibossus.
Near the old farms, the village develops harmoniously around its modern town
hall. Of its old lordly castle, only the ditches remain and the remarkable
bridge which crosses them, was recently restored and made attractive.
The old town hall, compared to a "doll's house" needs to be visited.
It would seem that the city was called "La Norville" since the 11th century by the
female first name Eléonor.
Through a large released park, one can reache
this castle of the 18th century (currently medical centre of infantile phoniatry)
is situated near the Saint-Denis Church of 16th century.
The other castle of 17th century is occupied by the Town hall
Wood, of beautiful properties, old washtubs and a fountain
still remember the visit "of Eléonorville"
where one can enjoy the sight of Arpajon and the valley of the Orge river.
In October takes place the Festival of Sweet chestnuts.
Built under François the 1st, then repurchased in 1750 by the marquis Philippe
de Noailles of Arpajon, the castle of Leuville still stands partly and was inhabited
in 1917 by the georgian gorvernment in exile.
Around a lot of old houses, one will notice three public washtubs and
the Saint-Jean-Baptiste church, of 14th century, showing various statues
and a famous painting of the 18th century.
The banks of the Orge river are arranged in a pleasant walk under the
The local Fair lasts two days, during Saint-Jean feast.
In spring is held the " Carnival of Bineau ".
Ollainville : Valley of the Orge river, Ponds of Trévois (Fishing and Walk)
Old hamlet of Bruyères-Le-Châtel became an independant town in 1792, Ollainville
was, in particular, the residence of the King Henri the 3rd... and his royal suite.
castle, destroyed in 1835, was replaced by "Louis-Philippe" style.
The town centre and the hamlet of the Rock have old cosy houses
are to be visited.
The castle of "la Roche" is not opened to the public but the walker can
park. The arranged ponds, the banks of
the Remarde river and the Orge river are agreeable walks.
The Local Fair takes place in Whitsunday.
Saint-Germain-Lès-Arpajon Fatherland of Saint-Corbinien, first
bishop of Freising, in Bavaria. The city was called
Saint-Germain-Lès-Châtres until 1720.
In the church, dedicated to Saint-Germain of Auxerre
(11th-15th centuries), there are reliquaries of Saint-Corbinien as
well as stained glasses and a big modern tapestry.
The town hall dominates a park full of attractions,
with the various scent of very old trees.
The park leads to a walk along the Orge river, among the water mills.
In the park of the castle of Chanteloup, old royal field, a dovecote
is drawn up in a bosky bower.
End of May and beginning of June, takes place the