Arpajon : entertainment place, administrative and commercial centers of regional area.
Until 1720, the locality was called Châtres. A new lord then gave it the name of its stronghold of Arpajon in the Cantal. In order to adopt this name more rapidly, he asked for the opinions of the inhabitants : "What is this place called ?" Those who answered "Châtres" were beaten with a stick, and those who replied "Arpajon" received a silver coin.
Arpajon is the vegetable center where all farmers converge and whose vegetables formerly reached the markets in Paris by the "Arpajonnais" train, well known by the travellers for its thick fume. The speciality of Arpajon is the "chevrier", variety of kidney beans invented in 1878 by a farmer born in "Brétigny-sur-Orge" and called Chevrier. The Beans fair takes place in Arpajon each year in September.
An important market takes place each Friday since the 13th century.
Splendid Central Market in oak of the 15th century (1470, M.H) is the pride and the symbol of the city.
The Saint-Clément Church (11th-15th century M.H) offers an original triforium, beautiful keystones and shelters tombstones of the 13th century. Its square bell-tower is linked to a lightning conductor installed in 1782 by Benjamin Franklin.
Let us admire some houses of the 15th century, the Town hall and its Park of Freising at the edge of the Orge river populated by many ducks.
More than 300 business trades, the movie theaters, a Youth Hostel, an active cultural life contributes to the success of the city.
In September are held the "Foire aux Haricots" (Beans Festival, 300.000 visitors), the chess tournament and the gastronomical and floral contests.
In March, the carnival of Bineau.
The village, with agricultural and horticultural characters, was until the Revolution a fief of the Benedictines abbots of Saint-Germain-des-Prés, lords of Avrainville.
The 17th century castle and very old farms as well as wood reminded Avrainville of its bygone days.
The Sainte-Marie church can be noticed by its flanked bell-tower-turn of buttresses and its panelled nave.
In June occurs the Festival of Avrainville.
Bruyères-Le-Châtel : The Church, Places Saint-Didier
Its name means "castle built on a ground of heathers".
In spring, the "Salon de la Palette d'Argent" (paint) occurs.
Cheptainville : Breeding "La Doudou" (goats), regional Forest of the Furnaces
The old "Capitani villa", the chief's town, is built since the 12th century around the church dedicated to the invocation of Saint Martin's day. To this time goes back the bell-tower; the nave, rebuilt in 1471, was rehabilitated in the 19th century.
Fatherland of the poet Pierre Dupont, author of the famous "j'ai deux grands boeufs dans mon étable...", Cheptainville has kept its agricultural character.
The village is best known particularly thanks to the knowledge of "the soil products" to the breeding of goats such as its production of honeys, fruits, farm products...
Egly : Church Saint-Pierre (bell-tower of 13th century is recognized as Historic buildings 1929).
Being well situated at the edge of the Orge river brought it to bear the Latin name aeglati (fertile place surrounded by hedges) and its inhabitants the name of Aglatiens.
Today like in former days, the banks of the Orge river and the ponds built contribute to its charms. The castle of Ville-Louvette, near Breuillet, distinguished by the use of brick, stone and slate is accompanied by suites due to the architect Jean-Renaudie (2Oth century).
The castle of Egly, alone, shelters the Town hall.
The Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul Church is remarkable by its bell-tower of 13th century. Three old laundrettes add to the charm of the places.
In June takes place the festival of the Wolves.
The living room of Artites Peintres of Egly is held in November.
Guibeville : Bridge of Ditches
Nice village with agricultural vocation, its name derived, according to historians, from the Gallo-Roman family Gibossus.
Near the old farms, the village develops harmoniously around its modern town hall. Of its old lordly castle, only the ditches remain and the remarkable bridge which crosses them, was recently restored and made attractive.
The old town hall, compared to a "doll's house" needs to be visited.
It would seem that the city was called "La Norville" since the 11th century by the female first name Eléonor.
Through a large released park, one can reache this castle of the 18th century (currently medical centre of infantile phoniatry) is situated near the Saint-Denis Church of 16th century.
The other castle of 17th century is occupied by the Town hall
Wood, of beautiful properties, old washtubs and a fountain still remember the visit "of Eléonorville" where one can enjoy the sight of Arpajon and the valley of the Orge river.
In October takes place the Festival of Sweet chestnuts.
Built under François the 1st, then repurchased in 1750 by the marquis Philippe de Noailles of Arpajon, the castle of Leuville still stands partly and was inhabited in 1917 by the georgian gorvernment in exile.
The local Fair lasts two days, during Saint-Jean feast.
In spring is held the " Carnival of Bineau ".
Ollainville : Valley of the Orge river, Ponds of Trévois (Fishing and Walk)
Old hamlet of Bruyères-Le-Châtel became an independant town in 1792, Ollainville was, in particular, the residence of the King Henri the 3rd... and his royal suite. The old castle, destroyed in 1835, was replaced by "Louis-Philippe" style. The town centre and the hamlet of the Rock have old cosy houses are to be visited.
The castle of "la Roche" is not opened to the public but the walker can admire the park. The arranged ponds, the banks of the Remarde river and the Orge river are agreeable walks.
The Local Fair takes place in Whitsunday.
Saint-Germain-Lès-Arpajon Fatherland of Saint-Corbinien, first bishop of Freising, in Bavaria. The city was called Saint-Germain-Lès-Châtres until 1720.
End of May and beginning of June, takes place the town fair.